Wednesday 15 June 2011

Transfer Season: Cesc, Gervinho and Greedy Samir Nasri?

Ah, I'm back. Apologies for the lack of posting recently but a mixture of things like school and technical difficulties have meant its been hard. Anyway, on to the more interesting stuff.
There's been enough transfer rumours and gossip the past few weeks to last a lifetime so I'll focus on the main few to bring you up to date. Although, its been hard to miss it all on twitter! Before I start I'm awarding the worst transfer rumour of the week award to the guy who said Arsenal were signing Torres for Diaby + 18m. Really? If you're going to make up false stories, at least give them a little credibility. 
I'll start with the man you can see next to this text. Captain Fabtastic. (Has that phrase been used before? Surely it has...). Today an interview done with Cesc has emerged and I first read about it here. The brief message of the article is that Cesc has said he is happy at arsenal and does not know what will happen this summer.  Although it is early days and we have a long summer ahead of fighting to hold onto the player who can do this I, unlike many, am feeling optimistic about our prospects of keeping him at the Emirates. Firstly, he has come out and said things already that a certain Frenchman hasn't (I'll come onto that later) and if he was as determined to leave as most think, he wouldn't have. Also, Cesc loves arsenal and has a long term contract. Barcelona don't want to pay the amount we evaluate him at. At the moment, all these add up the Cesc leading us out again next season. We've got Cesc Fabregas 

Having spoken about a man who loves Arsenal and playing for Arsenal, I'll move onto a man who may not completely share the attitude. Samir Nasri. Since my last post the developments on Nasri has that he has said he won't rule out a United switch, he's sworn at a fan for suggesting he should leave and told us not to listen to the papers that are publicising his spoken comments... All very bizarre. Anyway, the latest is that he is apparently resuming talks with Arsenal (partly detailed here).  I personally think Nasri has realised his attempt at getting more money failed. The rumours, and I stress rumours, last week were that he was demanding 160k a week. No one should be paid that much, especially after half a good season. The fact he is asking to be paid more than Cesc, who has given us around 6 full quality seasons is atrocious. Besides, ask anyone whether they'd rather keep Cesc or Samir and I'm pretty sure I'd know their answer. Sort it out Samir. As Wenger put brilliantly "Its great clubs who make players, not other way"

Now onto the more happier rumours of players joining Arsenal.  The footballer that has been very strongly linked with Arsenal the past few weeks is Gervinho or as I like to call him "Crazy Hairstyle Strike III". The rumours are now very strong that Arsenal are very interested and discussing a fee with Lille for the striker. So much so that even the BBC have reported it here, almost 3 weeks after the world of twitter gained knowledge of this. I'm not going to lie and say I have watched this man week in week out since he was 7 years old. In fact I know next to nothing about him apart from the fact his hairstyles would make Sagna's look acceptable in society and that he has a brilliant name. However from what I have seen on youtube and heard on twitter, he sounds a decent acquisition. Maybe not the world famous name some fans want, but a good signing nonetheless.

I'll finish with a few other transfer stories. According to many people on twitter the transfer of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to Arsenal looks as good as done and is apparently set to be announced on July 1. Wenger has wanted this guy for a while so there must be something special about him. If he can make as a big impact as Walcott has, I'll welcome him with open arms.

The central defence saga is going on with rumours we're, still, looking at Chris SAMBAAAA (read my last blog post) and Gary Cahill. Personally, I'm not sure if either man would be my first choice if we could sign any centre back but both have PL experience so I'm not going to knock the approaches. I just hope a deal is done for one of them sooner rather than later so the defence has plenty of time to work together, and they need it!

That's all for now, I'll discuss more rumours in a future post. Hopefully by then one of these deals will become finalised. Well obviously apart from Cesc or Samir leaving but you know what I mean.

Joe



 

No comments: